The nearest areas are Abbey Wood, Blackheath, Charlton, Eltham, Greenwich, Kidbrooke, Lewisham, North Woolwich, Plumstead, Shooter's Hill, Thamesmead, Welling and Well Hall.Below is a table comparing Woolwich and the wider borough of Greenwich: Woolwich has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age.The number of artillery men grew from around 200 in 1716 to around 1,500 in 1801.Soldiers were generally held in contempt, earning about a quarter of dockyard labourers' wages.The ancient parishes of Plumstead and Eltham became part of the civil parish of Woolwich in 1930.Parts of the wards Glyndon and Shooter's Hill are often referred to as Woolwich, although not accepted by all.
In the 19th and 20th century several large barracks were built, as well as military schools and hospitals.
However, in 2015 Oxford Archaeology discovered a Saxon burial site near the riverside with 76 skeletons from the late 7th or early 8th century.
The absence of grave deposits indicates that this was an early Christian settlement.
Many great ships were built here, such as the Prince Royal, the Sovereign of the Seas, the Royal Charles, the Dolphin and the Beagle.
The dockyard went through many ups and downs but survived for three and a half centuries, closing down in 1869.